Thursday, December 31, 2009

antique hemp linen grain sack gift

Have any of you ever received an out of the blue gift from the kind universe...I had been eyeing out French antique hemp linen grain sacks for quite sometime now. With my home having french antiques in it, I really wanted some . In all my antique hunts, I had not come across any here and thought my only option was to buy some from overseas. This of course is costly not to mention the shipping. Andrew and I woke up early yesterday morning to go on our morning walk. In the distance, I see some rubbish and mounds of black plastic bags on someones verge ready for collecting. The closer I walk, I see three vintage hand loomed hemp linen grain sacks! . They were very dirty and without a doubt being thrown away...My poor husband knowing full well that I am a true treasure finder of note , does not even question my swift move. I brought them home , scrubbed them up and now own three gorgeous old hemp linen bags. Who knows what age they could be. I have seen some dated back to the 1800's. So, that is the story of my free post Christmas gift. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

11 comments:

Tammy said...

Oh wow! What an incredible find!

Linda said...

Hello my Dear Friend,
What a treasure find! They look beautiful.
Wishing you all a wonderful and magical 2010.
Warmly
Linda

Kelly said...

Suzanne, What a treasure finder you are. They look terrific. You certainly have an eye for such treasures.

Jessica said...

Neat! Oh, isn't it exciting to find a treasure in the rubbish! Some of my most favorite belongings are someone else's discarded "trash." :)

softearthart said...

Hi, From Marie in New Zealand, I love finding treasures, we have some lovely opportunity shops locally, and I am always going in and finding items. cheers and thanks for following my blog, cheers Marie

Anonymous said...

What a great find. They are just beautiful and a real treasure. enjoy!

Beth said...

What fun! They are beautiful and you certainly have an eye for such things! It is amazing when providence provides so unexpectedly. I think it would be so much fun to go thrifting/antiquing with you dear friend!
xoxo
Beth

Theresa said...

How fun!

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

Wonderful treasure! I have a feeling you and I would find much joy in similar little things :)

Hope you have been very well and are enjoying this new year with your beautiful family!
With love, Renee

Anonymous said...

Sometimes it seems things are just meant to be! Enjoy your beautiful new treasure.

Mellie

Knecht Ruprecht Dolls said...

Hi,
I adore Your knitted animals since some time now.
I just made a Blog Linklist on:
http://knechtruprechtdolls.blogspot.com
and linked Your Blog

With my best regards,
Marie