Friday, October 16, 2009

Farming, Rome and little bits of emerging Summer






Aaron has been learning about farming and we have been concentrating on grain farming. Brogan has finished her block on Rome . We are having such fun with these blocks. We decided for baking today to bake "Roman army bread". We got the recipe out of this wonderful bread baking book called "Baking bread with children" by Warren lee Cohen. We love baking from this book. When the Romans went to war, their wives would gather sunflower seeds, grain, spelt and barley to grind into flour. This process took a few hours to prepare. So, these brave men would march into battle with very full tummy's. ....

I have to show off one of my gorgeous girls. Talking about grains and seeds, we feed them only the best pumpkin, sesame, linseed and sunflower seeds. She looks so healthy. Our Sunflowers are starting to pop up all over the garden. This is my Summer time sign ....
Have a wonderful weekend everyone. Thank you too for all the special kindness in your comments on the "Autumn " giveaway.

11 comments:

sarah said...

how lovely. but I had to laugh at myself when reading your final paragraph - I assumed you were talking about a daughter, and I was nodding my head in agreement with your statement, and your method of getting such a healthy gorgeous girl ... and then I realised you mean the chicken!

Beth said...

It's wonderful to see your gorgeous rooster, and pictures of the children making beautiful bread, and the beginnings of your summer! How could you get in the mood for the Autumn giveaway? I hope it gives your business a boost. That book looks intriguing and the cover looks similar to The Children's Year. I will see if I can peruse it some time. Bye! Beth

renee ~ heirloom seasons said...

Hello Suzanne!
We are about to start a farming block too, beginning with a week or so on grains before looking more at the farming year, as well as visiting our friends small farm. Third grade sure is full of fun!
I love seeing the pictures of your chickens! I'm sure they are very happy there with you :)

Theresa said...

What a great life you have created for your family

suzanne said...

Oh Sarah Yes my girls are the chickens...I am so happy we have such good egg layers. The kids just love collecting their eggs every morning. Andrew insist on good seeds so we can have healthy eggs. Beth you would love this book. It is salt of the earth stuff..Renee Aaron has loved this year of learning. I am glad you are finding the same. Here in our part of the world, we end our school year in December and start the new school year in January. Happy learning with your little ones. Thank you Theresa. I really could live like Tasha Tudor if I could. I do try to create a simpler, slower life here. The World moves too fast for me....

Have a great day visiting friends

Tonya Gunn said...

What very lucky girls you have!

*erin* said...

Just beautiful!

* * said...

Such beauty and warmth in your days Suzanne! Your photos are gorgeous, thank you for sharing these pieces of your life. So peaceful!

Kelly said...

Hi Suzanne
What a handsome fellow your cockerel is! We love baking bread too especially little Leo. Lovely blocks you are covering in your learning. Happy learning and happy summery days to you all.
Best wishes
Kelly

Beth said...

Dear Suzanne,
it is always so lovely to stop in and see what you and your family are doing. It always looks so peaceful there! I agree with you, and have really aimed to slow down the pace of living here as well. Tasha Tudor is such an inspiration, isn't she!
Warm wishes!
Beth

nocton4 said...

love this book too xx